Last Updated on
Ambient lighting (a.k.a. bias lighting) behind a monitor can really polish off a battlestation or workstation.
Not only that, but having that light behind your monitor can also help reduce eye strain. Win-win!
Without further ado, let’s take a look at our top picks!
Our Top 3 Choices for the Best Monitor Backlight
- 1 Our Top 3 Choices for the Best Monitor Backlight
- 2 Govee – RGB LED Strip
- 3 Govee – Dreamcolor LED Strip
- 4 Philips Hue – Lightstrip Plus
- 5 Things to Consider Before Buying
- 6 Conclusion
Govee – RGB LED Strip
- Upgraded Segmented Design: Govee TV Led backlight consists of 4 pieces of 1.64FT strip lights, instead of 3 pieces. Flexible to adjust to any 40-60inch TV with the considerate connecting wires. No need to cut or bend the TV light strips any more.
- Multicolor and Dimmable: Decorate your tv backlight with more than 16 million of colors selection, and you can adjust the brightness from 1% to 100%. Plug in TV USB port to light up, building your own home theater. [Non-waterproof]
- Easy Operation by Controller and APP: Easily dim and switch the light with smart phone app control, play with multicolors in DIY mode, control color changing speed. Controller box uses simple buttons control to save your time.
- Multiple Scenes Mode: Choose 7 scenes mode conrresponding to different occasions, such as Dating, Romantic, Blinking. Led lights behind TV or computer reduce eye fatigue of the bright screen, meanwhile create room ambiance.
- Safe to Use: Equipped with 5V working voltage, short circuit protection and memory function. Extremely low-heat, touchable and safe for children and pets. Back of tv led lights comes with strong 3M adhesive, and you can reinforce the strip by extra 5 clips.
This is a nice entry level option for getting some light behind your monitor with some decent options for colors and customization.
It allows for control from an App on your phone via wireless or Bluetooth and it comes in sections and has different modes for when you are showing it off to your curious family members.
Govee – Dreamcolor LED Strip
- Take Control by Voice: LED strip light works with Alexa and Google Home via simple voice control. Use simply conversations like “turn on/off light”, “change color to blue”, “dim/brighten light” to control. Release your hands, control lights freely.
- Wonderful Dreamcolor: Adopting IC chips, various colors can be chasing in a line. The light strip shows a rainbow-like (dreamcolor) effect, providing an amazing visual experience for you. [Warm Notice: this strip light is NOT able to be cut]
- Control from Anywhere: With Bluetooth or WiFi connection, the colored lights can be wireless controlled without distance limit even when you are away from home. Timer function on App “Govee Home” saves your time to switch on/off the strip light.
- Dance to Music: With a high-sensitive mic, the strip light syncs to music and sound. Colorful lights change colors and flashing speed with rhythm and melody so that it’s ideal for party, bedroom, stairs, cupboard, desk decoration.
- Easy Installation: With this led light kit, you don’t need any other tools for installation. With double-sides 3M adhesive, it can be stuck on dry, clean, flat surface easily. 5 support clips attached are for better fixation.
This is a great mid level option that comes with a lot of bells and whistles. It allows for control from an App on your phone via wireless or Bluetooth, as well as Alexa and Google Home.
They are dimable and come with a nice timer function as well.
Philips Hue – Lightstrip Plus
- Maximum Compatibility:Pair your Hue smart bulbs with any voice or Smart Home assistant. Works with Alexa, Google Assistant, Apple Homekit, Microsoft Cortana, SmartThings, IFTT. Hub required, Alexa device and hub sold separately). For the full Hue experience and to take advantage of voice activation purchase the Philips Hue Hub. . Search “Philips Hue Hub” to find this product on
- Hassle-Free Connectivity: Smart Lights that won’t clog up your Wi-Fi network. Control up to 50 Hue lights on one Hue Hub without adding a Wi-Fi extender or extra router
- How to use:Install the flexible 80-inch LightStrip under bars, bed frames, or cabinets, with included adhesive tape. Trim it to the perfect size with the included cut marks. Extend your Philips Hue Lightstrip Plus up to 33 feet by adding the 40 inch Hue Lightstrip Extension to cover larger surfaces and enable wider applications”
- Ultimate Entertainment Experience: Sync your Hue lights with Gaming, Music and Movies using your PC via the Hue Sync app
- Next-Level Automation:Hue is a Smart Lighting system that remembers your light routines and timers, even when your Wi-Fi goes down. Actual Color Temperature (K):6500
- Control lighting from anywhere: Take your smart light control using your mobile device with you when you travel. Control lights, edit routines and set timers even when you’re away from home
- Industry Standard: Philips Hue is the only smart lighting product with Energy Star certification and its smart light bulbs last up to 22 years.
- Material Type: Synthetic Polymer (Pmma)
The Philips Hue lighting system is going to be a nice premium option that wont break the bank. It works with lots of things, over wifi, yada yada.
The best thing about this system is the ability to sync with your content with Hue Sync. This allows you to be super immersed in your games or movies by sort of “extending” the content via lighting onto the wall behind your monitor.
Check it out in action:
Things to Consider Before Buying
You would think it would be pretty straight forward for getting some LEDs and throwing them behind your monitor, but there are some options to consider.
The length of the strip is going to be something basic to consider. There are kits that will come with much more than you need which may seem like a good thing, but unless you are ready to start cutting it up, you may end up with half a roll of LEDs just sitting behind your screen which is less than ideal.
Some kits have detachable segments which allow you to use as many as needed without all the extra slack.
All LEDs are not the same brightness, and some may not have a dimming feature. So it is possible that you might end up with bias lighting that is too dim to make a difference in the day time, or can’t compete with the other lights in the room at night.
One way to compare the brightness would be to check the specs on the kit, but some may not have it. The other way would simply be to read the reviews and see what others are saying.
From my experience a lot of these kits come with the same type of remote control.
This is fine for a lot of situations, but if you already have a smart hub in the room, it might make more sense to hook into it so you are not fumbling with different controls all the time.
Some bias light kits only come in white. This would work well in a lot of cases, but often a splash of color can really set the mood for playing a game or watching a movie.
A lot of kits will come with a limited number of color options light the remote above shows.
The way a LED strip is powered is big thing to think about. You can get some with USB power which will hook right into some monitors, so you wont have any extra cables hanging down. Some solutions are powered with a regular power outlet, so you might have to find another spot on your power strip and route another cable.
On Screen Sync
There are a few options out there as well that allow you sync the lighting behind your screen with what is on it. In a way it “extends” your monitor into the surroundings. This provides another level of immersion that you probably didn’t even think existed.
For me, a back light behind the monitor has always been the piece of the puzzle that makes the biggest difference. If you think about it, almost no one has it unless the are trying to improve their overall setup. It usually does not come by default with your computer or desk or monitor, you have to buy it separately.
If you didn’t find the ambient lighting option you were after in this article, feel free to head on over to Amazon and continue your search there.